I talked with my neighbor. They had decided to change because it would be done sooner and cost less. I talked with the original landscaper to see if we could move the schedule up or reduce the price. He told me when they would be able to start and said, "We will make your yard a showcase in the neighborhood." I appreciated his response even though I didn't get what I wanted. He recognized that he wasn't the lowest cost, but that he had the right processes, tools, and expertise to deliver a top quality product. Even though it was tempting to get the yard done sooner, we decided that in the long run, a couple of months would be worth having it done right.
My neighbors got their yard done that week and it cost them a few thousand dollars less than it cost us. Done sooner with a lower price is always a good thing right? Or is it? Yesterday morning I heard the sounds of heavy machinery. I looked our the window and saw my neighbor tearing up his yard with a skid-steer.
The same principles apply to systems engineering and software development. There are cheap ways to get projects done. Those "solutions" have the appearance of being lower cost. However the long term cost of poor quality engineering far exceeds the cost to develop something correctly.
When considering a cheap solution, consider the following costs that are likely to come around to get you:
- Replacing the system when new features become too difficult to add with the chosen architecture
- Finding extensive bugs in the code that need constant maintenance
- Adding features in the future cost more because of the complicated code
Endigit is committed to building excellent systems. We accomplish this by having the processes in place to ensure we are delivering the best solution. They include:
- Helping to effectively define requirements
- Matching the right system architecture to your needs.
- Software development best practices like code reviews, effective source code control, modular maintainable software design
- Project management to ensure we are meeting the needed scope, cost, and timeline
- Communicating effectively through a project dashboard
An Endigit solution will not be cheap. Like my landscaper, Endigit will make your system be a showcase that will be worth the cost. Contact us to discuss how we can help create an excellent system with you.