Mentoring is an effective method of helping inexperienced individuals (or a mentee) develop and progress in their profession. It is also to help the new employee quickly absorb the organization’s cultural and social norm.
Here, at Endigit, we understand the importance of mentoring our junior engineers and value the knowledge sharing of our senior engineers. We consider mentoring a business relationship where both mentor and mentee enjoy the journey.
A successful, mentor-mentee relationship start with:
- Getting to know each other
- Keeping communication open
- Creating a relationship of trust. Be honest
- Mutual respect
- Clearly defining roles and responsibilities
- Defining expectation
- Establishing short- and long-term goals
- Collaboratively solving problems
- Offering support
- Staying positive
- Acknowledge the work that goes in
- Keeping the momentum going
With mentoring, the mentees can learn and grow under the mentor’s guidance and become stronger and more intentional in their teaching.
Some other benefits are:
- Mentees receive help in achieving career goals
- Mentees get guidance for making business decisions
- Mentees get advice in the workplace on how to tackle challenging situations
- Mentors can help with mentee’s career and skill development
- Mentors can assist in ethical and moral guidance
- Mentors can help with assistance in navigating professional settings, institutions and structures
At Endigit, our senior and staff engineers mentor our junior engineers to ensure the success of our business and to maintain our company’s culture. We value the knowlege that our junoir engineers bring to the team, the growth of our team and the importance of sharing and discussing ideas in a professional environment. Mentoring has helped everyone in the team to preserve and improve that culture.